Warts are annoying. They are ugly, they grow, they spread, they are contagious, and they drive you nuts. Fortunately, they rarely cause serious problems. (This article does not cover treatment of genital warts.)
Warts are worrying to treat. They can respond to several approaches and, sadly enough, because they are caused by a virus they sometimes respond to nothing at all. However, using essential oils for warts is a great way to get started. It’s true that better studies are needed for treating warts.
Best essential oils for warts to use:
Oregano, Tea Tree, Lemon, Lime, Tagetes, Cinnamon Bark, Lavender, Cypress, Cajeput, Frankincense.
You can apply any of these oils neat directly on the wart 2-3 times a day. You can also use a combination of 2 or more of any of these oils, and you can dilute them in 2 teaspoons of Cider Vinegar. Apply by using a cotton ball and apply to the wart directly, but avoid the surrounding area.
Things to do
- You can use the same treatment for skin tags as you use for warts. Just be very careful around the eyes. If you have a wart or skin tag around your eyes, you need to speak with a doctor before treatment.
- Oregano is the #1 oil to use on warts. It is very hot, however, so be careful. You put a drop on the wart once or twice a day. Keep it on the wart only. If it gets on the surrounding skin, make sure you clean it off with a carrier oil.
- If you want to use any treatment on a child, make sure you dilute the oils properly. It’s best not to use Oregano on a child under 10.
Here are a few options for recipes that I found in my research. Make sure you are careful when applying to your skin.
- 12 drops Lemon
- 5 drops Cypress
- 1 tablespoon Cider Vinegar
Put all ingredients in a clean, glass bottle and shake well. Apply by using a cotton ball or Q-tip and apply to the wart directly, but avoid the surrounding area. Apply twice a day until wart disappears completely. Can be used on children.
Special Wart Blend
- 14 drops Lemon
- 6 drops Tea Tree
- 4 drops Bergamot FCF
- 7 drops Thyme
- 4 drops Cypress
- 1 tablespoon Jojoba
Blend together in an dark colored glass bottle. Then apply only ONE drop ONCE a day to the wart. Use up to 2 weeks.
To use on children or the elderly – mix the above in 2 tablespoon of Jojoba oil and apply one drop once a day. If no improvement, discontinue and see your doctor.
Here is what Rocky Mountain Oils family members are saying about it on Facebook:
- LSA: “Frankincense! Be consistent and it will go away:) My daughter used it straight out of the bottle twice a day. :)”
- NC: “Oregano but be cautious, it is quite strong, but anti-viral. And again consistency! Do NOT use near the eyes. Really any oil that is either anti-viral, and will boost the body’s immune system and natural ability to heal should do the trick. Also setting the intention that the oil perform a specific job helps.”
- JGF: “Tea Tree oil (1 drop neat) then cover with a bandaid. Once or twice a day.”
- CEB: “We are using a blend of Cinnamon Bark, Lemon, and Helichrysum Italicum on my son’s warts. I’ve only been treating them once a day for the last couple weeks. I can see that the warts are dying!”
- JS: “I have used grapefruit seed extract and it worked really well. The skin will wrinkle or shrivel up and come off. works really well. Not sure about Grapefruit oil?”
- RMY: “I use Oregano for warts on hands or feet. It’s a hot oil, I mix it with Olive Oil before I put it on my skin. Warts are gone. But really be careful how much you use, as it is burning hot oil. But it worked wonders for my family.”
- PS: ” I concur – Oregano – then, use some oils specifically for your liver like Celery Seed in a gel capsule – warts and skin tags are viruses that live in the liver.”
- KH: “We’re using Frankincense and Lavender on the ones my son has on his head. They appear to be shrinking and dying off. We use the oil neat.”
- TFF: “I will have to back up the Oregano claim. I had a plantar wart on the bottom of my foot. I had it cut out by the DR and it came back even bigger, tried duct tape, nothing worked! I started using Oregano on it consistently and it started to shrink in the first week and disappeared after about 5-6 months. It was pretty big thus why it took so long but it is now gone when nothing else worked!”
- MV: “Braggs Vinegar for warts.”
Warts are no fun. But they can often be treated with essential oils. If you find that the natural treatment just won’t work, then definitely go see your doctor and get them burnt off and then treat the scar with good healing oils like Lavender and Helichrysum Italicum. And please, let us know in the comment section below anything you’ve done that helps. We would love to hear from you!