Orange Essential Oil
Opening a bottle of Orange Essential Oil (citrus sinensis) is a feast for the senses. When you inhale the sweet, bright, and clean aroma, you can almost envision rows upon rows of citrus trees that are weighted down with perfectly round fruits, or that glass of liquid sunshine set out on the breakfast table. While the orange fruit is packed with delicious nutrients, such as vitamin C, potassium, folate, and thiamin, it’s the antioxidant-rich essential oil that’s perfect for the mind, body, mood, and home. That’s why we included Orange Essential Oil as part of the Rocky Mountain Oils Relief and Cleaning collections.
To help you get a little more acquainted with Orange Essential Oil, let’s explore some of its benefits and most common uses.
Throughout the centuries, the orange fruit has crisscrossed the globe. Believed to have originated in Asia, China, and India, oranges made their way to the Mediterranean in the 1400s or 1500s. As the fruit made its way across the European continent, wealthy citizens used oranges for medicinal purposes, treating everything from the flu to skin infections. In the 1500s, explorers and farmers brought orange trees to the United States, planting them particularly in Florida and California.
A few fun facts about oranges:
- The fruit comes from the Rutaceae family.
- Oranges are a naturally grown hybrid of the pummelo (C. maxima) and the mandarin (C. reticulata).
- America produces about 25 billion oranges each year. Florida is the top orange-producing state.
- An orange is actually a type of berry (hesperidium).
- Because oranges were often referred to as “golden apples,” people considered them as the fruit of the gods in Greek mythology.
- Chinese literature mentions oranges in texts as early as 314 B.C.
How Producers Distill Orange Essential Oil
Our Orange Essential Oil is sourced from Brazil and Italy and is collected through cold-pressed extraction. By using this distillation method with the orange peel, we can preserve all the good stuff that makes the oil beneficial, such as the antioxidants, rather than destroying them with heat.
Benefits of Orange Essential Oil
From enhancing skin care to uplifting the mood, Orange Essential Oil provides several health benefits. Let’s take a look at just a few of the many applications of and benefits from Orange Essential Oil:
Orange Essential Oil for Skin and Hair Care
Orange Essential Oil is very gentle and is a great addition to any skin care routine. Due to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, the oil can help balance skin tone for dry, dehydrated, or oily complexions. Soothe skin blemishes, use as part of your anti-aging regimen, and help brighten your complexion with Orange Essential Oil. You can also add Orange oil to your favorite carrier oil, blend it into your daily moisturizer, or add it to an exfoliating salt scrub.
Orange Essential Oil for a Joyful Mood
It’s no mystery as to why so many people use Orange oil for aromatherapy purposes. What’s more uplifting than that bright, cheerful aroma of Orange Essential Oil? If you want to ease anxiety or depression, or if you just need an afternoon mood lift, try adding a few drops of Orange oil to your diffuser.
Orange Essential Oil for Cleaning
Orange Essential Oil features antimicrobial properties, making it a great ingredient for a DIY kitchen or bathroom cleaner. According to a 2013 study, researchers believe that essential oils in general actually weaken the cell walls of resistant bacteria, such as E. coli and salmonella. Another study that was published in 2018 linked Orange Essential Oil specifically to the inhibition of salmonella.
Orange Essential Oil as an Anti-Inflammatory
The anti-inflammatory properties of Orange Essential Oil may help alleviate a multitude of symptoms related to inflammation, including headaches, PMS cramps, and muscle or joint aches. Dilute Orange Essential Oil in a carrier oil, and massage it into the affected area to help increase blood flow.
Other Ways to Use Orange Essential Oil
- Add to a carrier oil, moisturizer, or lotion to promote healthy, glowing skin.
- Apply a few drops to a cotton ball and inhale the sweet aroma to uplift the spirit.
- Blend Orange oil into a household cleaner for enhanced antimicrobial properties.
- Freshen laundry by adding a few drops to a dryer sheet.
- Make a linen spray by blending a few drops of Orange oil into a bottle of distilled water.
- Mix into bath salts and use in the tub.
Essential Oils That Blend Well with Orange
Recipes Using Orange Essential Oil
- 3 drops Sandalwood
- 2 drops Orange
- 2 drops Carrot Seed
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
Mix all ingredients together and store in a dark, glass bottle. Use at night before going to bed. Apply mixture generously to hands and massage thoroughly. Put on a pair of 100% cotton gloves and wear overnight. In the morning, massage hands thoroughly once again before washing.Sugarlips Scrub
- ¼ cup fine Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 3 drops Orange
- 2 drops Cucumber Seed
Combine all ingredients in a Ziploc bag. Close tightly and massage bag until all ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Store mixture in a clean, sealable container. Using your fingertips, massage a small amount into your lips and rinse with warm water. Use within 3 months.
Safely Using Orange Essential Oil
- You may experience skin sensitization when using Orange oil
- To extend shelf life, keep in a cool, dark place with the cap tightly sealed.
- You can store Orange oil in a refrigerator.
- Click here for dilution rates.