Earth Day Challenge - Day 4: Natural Bird Feeder
Welcome to day 4 of our Earth Day Challenge series, where we provide daily challenges to help promote greater awareness and inspire others to take part in environmentally friendly activities that help protect our planet. Today’s challenge is a great activity for both children and adults, as it gives back to Mother Nature and provides a source of healthy nutrients for the feathered friends in our community.
That’s right — today, we’re making natural bird feeders! These easy-to-make bird feeders are great to hang on trees in your yard, and can be customized with different cookie-cutter shapes for a fun and unique look. See below for the recipe.
Natural Bird Feeder Ornament
What You’ll Need
- 2.5 Cups Birdseed
- 2 Packets Unflavored Gelatin
- 2 Tablespoons Honey or Corn Syrup
- 1 cup Water
- Cookie Cutters
- Twine, Ribbon, or String
- Pencils or Bamboo Sticks
- Add ½ cup of water to a large bowl, and sprinkle the unflavored gelatin on top.
- Boil the other ½ cup of water, and add to the gelatin mixture. Stir until completely dissolved.
- Add the honey or corn syrup, and mix well.
- Carefully pour the birdseed into the bowl and stir until completely combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and place desired cookie-cutter shapes on top.
- Using a spoon, fill each cookie-cutter with the birdseed mixture, and press firmly to fill in all the gaps.
- Using a pencil or bamboo stick, create a hole at least a ½ inch from the edge. Leave the pencil or bamboo stick inside the ornament to allow for proper setting.
- Place the baking sheet in the fridge and leave for at least an hour to set.
- Carefully remove the cookie-cutters from the birdseed mixture, and remove the pencils or bamboo sticks.
- Thread a piece of twine, ribbon, or string through the hole, and tie in a knot.
- Hang your new bird feeder near a window, and watch your new friends feast!
Find Other Earth Day Activities
Excited to try your hand at some more Earth Day challenges? Be sure to visit the last 3 days of our challenge series, where you can plant a tree, upcycle used essential oil bottles, and even clean up your local community! And don’t forget to download the Earth Day BINGO board below for even more fun, earth-loving activities for you and your family! Even better, visit our Facebook or Instagram page this Friday, and let us know which challenges you completed for a chance to win 4 oils from our Organics Line! Which activities are you most excited to complete?
Day 3 - Clean Up Your Community
Earth Day BINGO