Essential Oils To Balance Chakras
Chakras are energy centers in the body that, when balanced and aligned, can help your body regulate both its physical and emotional systems. There are seven main chakras positioned throughout the body, running up from your tailbone to the crown of your head.
When one or more of your chakras is blocked or out of balance, it can disrupt your quality of life. But don't worry; there are many things you can do to help align and balance your chakras, and thus help your body and mind function properly. Essential oils are a great way to help you achieve and maintain that balance.
Essential Oils for Balancing The Root Chakra
The root chakra is located at the base of the tailbone. It draws its energy from the ground and your connection to the earth, and it relies on on your other chakras to function to its fullest capacity. A balanced root chakra helps you feel anchored to the world around you, providing you with a sense of security and stability. When using essential oils to balance your root chakra, it is important to select oils that will help you feel grounded and calm while also uplifting your mood.
4 essential oils for the root chakra:
- Vetiver: This earthy and woodsy oil is great for easing feelings of restlessness, frustration, or anxiety. These feelings can disrupt your ability to focus and be productive, but Vetiver can calm those feelings and an overactive root chakra.
- Myrrh: As one of the oldest oils known to man, Myrrh is renowned for promoting feelings of peace and overall well-being. Myrrh oil is great for stimulating the brain, allowing you to enhance your feelings of purpose and your connection to your emotions. As a result, you can help turn negative feelings into positive ones, and move forward with the focus and energy you need.
- Patchouli: This herbaceous and earthy oil provides an excellent grounding effect. Patchouli oil can help you experience feelings of peace, joy, and self-confidence, especially when you are facing difficult times. These benefits make Patchouli essential oil great at calming an overactive root chakra.
- Cedarwood: Your root chakra forms your connections between your physical body and the environment around you. Cedarwood oil makes you feel as if you are out in nature among the trees, which can help calm your environment and provide a grounding effect, especially after a hectic day. Using Cedarwood essential oil to balance your root chakra can bring feelings of calmness and confidence in your abilities.
Other oils to balance the root chakra:
Essential Oils for Balancing the Sacral Chakra
The sacral chakra is located in the lower abdomen, near the navel. It is the center of passion and creativity, allowing you to discover what you truly enjoy and create intimate relationships. When using essential oils to balance your sacral chakra, choose oils that help inspire those feelings of creativity and passion.
4 essential oils for the sacral chakra:
- Clary Sage: Clary Sage essential oil offers a warm, slightly spicy and musky aroma that provides feelings of strength and relaxation. This can help replace emotionally charged reactions, or feelings of anxiety or insecurity that can arise from an imbalanced sacral chakra. Clary Sage also promotes clarity and inspiration, reducing confusion, and stimulating desire and passion in intimate relationships.
- Cinnamon Bark: The spicy scent of Cinnamon Bark oil is a great way to feel invigorated and stimulated. Such effects are great for diminishing feelings of sadness, timidness, or anxiety. Cinnamon Bark is also great for boosting libido, increasing not only your desire but also helping you to nourish and strengthen intimate relationships.
- Ylang Ylang: This floral oil is famous for its aphrodisiac properties. It can stimulate sexual energy while also calming any overactive emotions that may cause you to fear intimacy or passion. Ylang Ylang essential oils can also replace feelings of insecurity with those of self-love and confidence, as well as a joy for the simple things.
- Rosewood: With a sweet, woody, and floral aroma, Rosewood oil provides a relaxing yet stimulating aroma. Rosewood oil is well-known as an aphrodisiac, but it can also help calm the mind, body, and emotions. This oil is great for relieving feelings of anxiety or stress and for helping you to be more in touch with your emotions; this can help you avoid being overly dramatic or having emotionally charged responses.
Other oils to balance the sacral chakra:
Essential Oils for Balancing the Solar Plexus Chakra
The solar plexus chakra is found a couple of inches above the navel, extending up to your sternum. This chakra is the core of your identity and personality, creating your connections to emotions such as willpower, self-esteem, and self-discipline. A balanced solar plexus chakra allows you to master your thoughts, overcome feelings of fear, and make more conscious decisions. To balance your solar plexus chakra, choose oils that support healthy digestion, and encourage feelings of self-confidence and motivation.
4 essential oils for the solar plexus chakra:
- Juniper Berry: Juniper Berry essential oil can help activate your solar plexus chakra by increasing circulation through your body and organs, and by freeing up restricted energy. This light and refreshing oil can also restore emotional balance, promoting feelings of love and peace while also strengthening your sense of self-worth and confidence.
- Black Pepper: Although Black Pepper is not as well known of an essential oil, it is excellent for restoring balance to your solar plexus chakra. This spicy, slightly sweet-smelling oil has a warming effect that can help you feel more relaxed and mindful of yourself. Black Pepper essential oil also stimulates your mind, giving you that motivation to take control and get things done.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruit essential oil is great for maintaining a balanced solar plexus chakra by supporting proper digestion and helping to regulate your appetite. Grapefruit's light, fresh, and fruity aroma also stimulates more energy and reduces feelings of stress, moodiness, irritability, or a lack of self-confidence.
- Spikenard: This woody and spicy-smelling oil is great for supporting and promoting feelings of compassion, hope, and love. Spikenard oil can help you release any fear of the unknown, thus helping you have greater willpower and motivation to act, and the courage to take action.
Other oils to balance the solar plexus chakra:
- Ginger Root
Essential Oils for Balancing the Heart Chakra
Located in the center of your chest, the heart chakra is the center of your love, compassion, and affection for both yourself and others. When balanced, your heart chakra can help you feel connected to others in both romantic and platonic relationships. To help balance your heart chakra, choose essential oils that promote feelings of compassion, respect, love, and forgiveness.
4 essential oils for the heart chakra:
- Rose: Well-known for its soothing benefits, Rose essential oil helps open your heart chakra and enables you to love more unconditionally. Rose oil can enhance your capacity to love and nurture yourself, especially when you experience emotional heartache. It can also enhance your relationships with others by encouraging a healthy relationship, evoking greater honesty, desire, and respect.
- Jasmine: Jasmine oil offers a warm, rich, floral aroma, and it is the symbol of love, happiness, and hope. With Jasmine, you can create emotional balance that can help soothe feelings of anxiety, stress, or apathy. Jasmine works particularly well in supporting healthy relationships, helping you to open up your heart to greater love and compassion. Jasmine's exotic aroma is also great for enticing romance and helping you feel good about yourself, especially romantically.
- Copaiba: The chaos and stress of everyday life can result in an overactive and emotional mind. Copaiba essential oil offers the ability to help soothe the mind, as well as stabilize your mood and emotions. Having balanced emotions can help you avoid being overly critical to yourself or others, and it can leave both your mind and heart open to understanding where others are coming from.
- Neroli: Neroli essential oil can help stimulate an underactive heart chakra, bringing feelings of pure love and joy. This soft and soothing floral oil can help heal hearts that are broken by emotional suffering or sadness. It can help you open your heart to more freely love yourself and others. Neroli oil is great for encouraging feelings of joy, peace, confidence, strength, and courage while bringing greater energy, hope, and fertility to help nourish your relationships with others.
Other oils to balance the heart chakra:
- Sweet Marjoram
Essential Oils for Balancing the Throat Chakra
The throat chakra is located in the center of the neck, extending down to the heart and up through the shoulders. This chakra has a strong connection with your sacral chakra, and it embodies your authenticity and originality. When balanced, your throat chakra allows you to communicate your authentic voice with effectiveness and conviction. To balance your throat chakra, focus on oils that promote communication and honesty.
4 essential oils for the throat chakra:
- Geranium: This floral oil helps provide a calm environment that you can feel safe and secure in, allowing you to more freely express your honest thoughts. In addition, Geranium oil can increase your ability to have more intimate conversations with others, helping you stay calm and centered, and to speak from your heart.
- Cypress: Cypress oil is great for decongestion and clearing up your airways, which can physically clear up your throat for better communication. In addition, this herbaceous and woody oil can create a strong sense of clarity and authenticity. Cypress essential oil can help you see a new perspective in situations, helping you see eye-to-eye with others whom you may have conflict.
- Peppermint: With its invigorating aroma, Peppermint oil can bring renewed feelings of optimism and hope as you interact with others. Peppermint oil can also help you think about what you actually want to say before you talk with someone. With menthol as its main ingredient, Peppermint oil can help relieve headaches and tension while giving you the strength you need to stand up for what you believe in.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus essential oil offers a fresh, medicinal aroma that can help calm sore throats and clear airways. Emotionally, Eucalyptus oil can promote feelings of well-being, particularly when you may feel overwhelmed or constricted. By using Eucalyptus oil, you can increase feelings of inner freedom, allowing you to more fully express your thoughts and emotions.
Other oils to balance the throat chakra:
- Vanilla, or Balsam of Peru
- Tea Tree
Essential Oils for Balancing the Third Eye Chakra
Located between the brows, the third eye chakra is responsible for how you perceive the world around you. This chakra is your link between the outer world and your mind. When balanced, your third eye chakra can help you open your mind to greater wisdom and intuition, as well as the ability of self-respect. When balancing your third eye chakra, try using essential oils that promote clarity of mind and greater focus.
4 essential oils for the third eye chakra:
- Lavender: Known as the universal oil, Lavender can help treat some of the physical ailments of an imbalanced third eye chakra, such as headaches or migraines. Lavender can also calm the inner mind, which can be great for those whose third eyes are blocked due to feelings of anxiety or stress.
- German and Roman Chamomile: The Chamomile oils are great for calming an overactive third eye chakra. Both Roman and German Chamomile essential oil can help promote proper and greater flow of chi throughout both your physical body and subtle body. These oils cal also work as a mild sedative, helping you feel relaxed and remove distractions so that you can more fulled reflect or meditate.
- Frankincense Serrata: If you want to keep a balanced third eye chakra, Frankincense Serrata can help. This particular Frankincense oil is a great meditation aid, helping to soothe tension and calm the mind of agitation or distractions. Frankincense oil can help you let go of fear, allowing you to open up your mind and see your inner intuitions.
- Lemon: Lemon essential oil has a famously fresh, light, and bright aroma that can aid concentration, release tension, and uplift the mood. With these benefits, Lemon oil can help you stay focused, thus helping you to increase your knowledge and achieve tasks, particularly those that are more mind-focused. Lemon oil cal also help clear your mental space when you feel foggy or blocked, allowing you to open your mind to new information.
Other oils to balance the third eye chakra:
- Ylang Ylang
- Clary Sage
- Vanilla, or Balsam of Peru
Essential Oils for Balancing the Crown Chakra
The crown chakra is located at the crown of the head, and it is where your personal consciousness meets a universal consciousness. When balanced, your crown chakra enables you to grow spiritually and connect with the universe; you can also see the beauty and connection between all things, and experience greater clarity. To balance your crown chakra, choose essential oils that can enhance meditation and support spiritual connections.
4 essential oils for the crown chakra:
- Sacred Frankincense: Many people have used Sacred Frankincense oil throughout time to enhance meditation. Sacred Frankincense oil can help you achieve a more tranquil state of mind, promoting a higher state of consciousness and supporting spiritual growth. With its woody and sweet aroma, Sacred Frankincense can also ease feelings of anxiety, tension, or stress that can block your crown chakra.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood essential oil is excellent for calming an overactive or chatty mind, allowing you to focus more on meditation and your connection to the universe. Sandalwood oil has a sweet and woody aroma that can promote deeper mediation and help you find your inner center.
- Helichrysum: This floral oil has a high spiritual frequency, allowing you to overcome mental barriers and access a higher spiritual state. Helichrysum oil is also great at easing the physical symptoms of an imbalanced crown chakra, including headaches or migraines.
- Basil: Basil's deep and herbaceous aroma can help stimulate a spiritual connection and realign the subtle energies. Basil essential oil can also inspire you to participate in selfless or humanitarian efforts as a way to support your connection to the universe and others.
Other oils to balance the crown chakra:
- Vanilla, or Balsam of Peru
Balanced chakras provide a variety of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual benefits, but having even one imbalanced chakra can throw things off. By using essential oils and other natural methods to restore balance to your energy centers, you can experience greater joy, fulfillment, and overall wellness. To learn more about your chakras and other ways to balance them, check out this Beginner's Guide to Chakras.