Fight Enterovirus-D68 with Essential Oils
Enterovirus is sweeping through the elementary schools of the US nation right now and it has many parents worried. Here is some information that can help.
How Do I Tell if My Child or I Have the Enterovirus?
According to the medical websites we researched, the Enterovirus is indistinguishable from a regular cold or flu in healthy children and adults. However, those children who are susceptible to chronic respiratory problems or have other medical issues like congestive heart failure are going to be hit the hardest, so you’ll want to keep an eye on them and stay in close consultation with your pediatrician.
Can It Be Prevented?
It will be very difficult to prevent the Enterovirus. In order for this virus to stop, it’s going to have to infect enough of the population to provide immunity and essentially burn itself out. But keeping your immune system strong and house clean will help decrease you and your family's chance of catching it.
Things to Do
- Teach your children about washing their hands before handling food.
- Try to keep your home relatively germ free.
- Freshen the air in your home by airing it out and diffusing oils
- Keep your furnace filters changed regularly.
- Regularly disinfect kitchens and bathrooms, as well as door knobs and other frequently touched surfaces.
- Make sure your children know how to cover their coughs and sneezes so they don't spread germs to all their classmates and family.
- If your child is sick, do them, their entire classroom, and their teacher a favor and please keep them home from school.
- Lower everyone's stress. Stress wears down the immune system.
- Make sure everyone, including you, gets enough sleep.
- Eat healthy and drink plenty of fluids.
- Also, check out the CDC site on the Enterovirus for more current information.
Which Essential Oils Will Help?
Diffusing essential oils is a great addition to your treatments because they can help boost respiratory function, as well as helping clear germs from the air. Ravintsara is the #1 oil for helping the lungs. Myrtle is another one that should be in everyone's first aid kit, as are the Chamomiles, Eucalyptus citriodora, Melaleuca, and Black Cumin. Any of the immune boosting blends like Breathe Ease, Fortify, or Immune Strength will be excellent to diffuse. The Defense supplement is also a necessary addition to your healthcare regimen. It can help boost the immune systems of the entire household and yes, it can definitely be given to children. (The daily dosage amount for children is included in the Applications & Uses tab on the Defense supplement product page.)
Last of All
Be sure to check out the article on treating colds and flu in children. It will give you many more ideas. This is a tough virus to be facing so we hope this information helps you strengthen your family and hopefully fight it off. Good luck!