Orange Essential Oil Uses and Recipes
Orange essential oil is one of the most versatile oils to use.
Explore our orange oil recipes and discover how to use the essential oil in skincare, homecare, and more. Orange oil (Citrus sinensis) has a sweet, warm, summery fragrance that can make you feel like an energetic child, ready to go out and experience the world again. In addition to its sweet scent, Orange oil can lift your mood, clean surfaces, and so much more. From skincare to homecare, explore the Orange Essential Oil uses and Orange Oil recipes that best work for you, and enjoy the many benefits of this powerful citrus oil.
Combines Well With
Lemon, Lime, Tangerine, Red Mandarin, Bergamot, Cinnamon Bark, Clove Bud, Ginger Root, Sandalwood, Neroli, Clary Sage, Myrrh, Geranium, Frankincense, Palmarosa, Nutmeg, Lavender, Rose, Petitgrain Bigarade, Fennel Seed, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Rosemary, Grapefruit, Peppermint, Spearmint
Information About Orange
- Similar properties to Tangerine. Can be used interchangeably.
- Lemon and Orange together provide bright energy.
- May help clear stagnant thoughts and strengthens focus.
- Is an overall tonic it can be soothing and refreshing.
- A part of our Wellness collection.
Orange Essential Oil Uses
- A few drops in a bowl of warm/hot water helps moisturize the air in your home.
- Diffuse 3 drops Orange with 1 drop Cinnamon Bark to give your home a holiday feel.
- Diffusing it helps clear stagnant thoughts and intentions. Helps you focus better.
- Great for children's playrooms.
- Use on sticky stuff when cleaning. Cuts through grease as well.
- Fill a spray bottle with 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar and a small squirt of liquid soap. Then add 5 drops of Orange oil. Shake and use to clean surfaces.
Orange Essential Oil Recipes
Here are a few Orange oil recipes that you might like.. Since Orange and Tangerine are interchangeable, feel free to substitute Orange oil for Tangerine oil. *Please note: With any recipe's involving bath or massage blends, always test on a small part of your skin first before using all over your body. Please be sure your skin can handle the blend before being covered in it.
Calming Bath Mix
- 5 drops Petitgrain
- 5 drops Lavender
- 3 drops Fennel Seed
- 2 drops Orange
- 1 teaspoon F.C.O.
- Epsom Salt (optional)
As you prepare your bath, close the window and door to prevent oil vapors from escaping. Fill the bathtub with warm/hot water. To soften your skin and remove impurities, dissolve 1 cup of epsom salt in the bath water. Then dilute the essential oils in the F.C.O. Pour blend into water. Swirl the water to disperse the oil evenly. Enter the bath immediately, since essential oils evaporate quickly. Relax and enjoy the bath for at least 30 minutes.
Sensual & Relaxing Bath
- 2 drops Cedarwood
- 2 drops Clary Sage
- 02 drops Lavender
- 2 drops Orange
- 2 tablespoons F.C.O.
Add to a bath and soak for 30 minutes.
- 4 drops Lavender
- 1 drop Lemon
- 3 drops Orange
- 2 drops Rosemary
Mix together. Can be used in a mist spray (with 4 ounces of water). Can also be added to 1 tablespoon of F.C.O. and used as an after-bath oil in the morning.
- 4 drops Cedarwood
- 2 drops Fennel Seed
- 2 drops Orange
- 4 drops Vanilla Extract
- 2 drops Lemon
Mix oils. Can be added to a mist spray or mix with 2 cups of water and simmer on your stove.
Fire Starter Cones
- Pine cones
- Candle wax
- Orange oil
- Cedarwood oil
Melt the wax in a double boiler. Remove from burner and allow the wax to cool, but keep it liquid. Mix several drops of Orange and Cedarwood oils in the slightly cooled wax mixture. Dip pine cones into the cooled wax mixture. Set aside on a newspaper to dry. You can also sprinkle evergreen needles on the cones before the wax dries. Or you can use Pine oil with the Orange and Cedarwood oils. Use one of the cones with the kindling wood next time you start a fire for a nice, aromatic start.
Citrus Scent Potpourri
- 100 drops Lime
- 40 drops Orange
- 30 drops Cinnamon Bark
- 30 drops Patchouli
Gather dried leaves, flowers and small wood shavings. Crush these plant materials to the desired size. Place 1/2 cup of plant material in a wide mouthed glass jar and add essential oil formula. Stir the contents well and tighten the lid on the jar. Let the potpourri sit for several days to allow the aroma molecules to be absorbed by the plant material.
Sleep Supporter Room Spray
- 6 drops Patchouli
- 6 drops Orange
- 06 drops Clary Sage
- 6 drops Lavender
- 4 ounces pure water
Use in a fine-mist spray bottle. Spritz room well before going to bed.
Here are some of our RMO family's favorite orange essential oil uses:
- "Getting gummy spots off the hardwood floor."
- "I apply them to the soles of my feet and my wrists before I hit the gym...gives me that extra energy boost to help with the treadmill."
- "I use them in my diffuser in the afternoon after work. It helps bring my energy back up to where I love it! it clears the air of any stuffiness leftover dinner smells from the night before!"
- "I use Orange or Lime in my car to clear the stuffiness."
Orange oil is the most popular of the citrus oils. Create your own orange oil recipes and share with us in the comment section at the bottom of the page. It'll be fun to hear new ideas! Disclaimer: Rocky Mountain Oils is not liable for any damage caused by use of these recipes. Each recipe was tested by employees of RMO and did not cause damage to home or person, but we still implore our customers to use caution before trying a recipe in their home. Test recipes on small areas before applying them to the entire surface and do not apply recipes to areas that are potentially sensitive (i.e. priceless Victorian tubs, Baby Grand pianos, etc.).