DIY Essential Oil Face Masks
Face masks are a familiar and classic way to give your skin spa-like treatment at home. To help keep your skin healthy and looking radiant, a face mask can be just what you need -- especially when the mask is made up of all-natural ingredients! With these DIY face mask recipes, you can give your skin the treatment it needs without paying the spa price. Just grab the ingredients from your cupboards or local grocery store, and your skin will be thanking you in no time!
Benefits of Face Masks
We all may subconsciously know that face masks are good for our skin, but what do they really do? Here are just some of the many ways that face masks can benefit your facial skin:
- Increases Hydration: Face masks help bring moisture into skin that is dry or dehydrated. The ingredients in the mask can penetrate deep into the skin, ultimately softening your skin and improving elasticity. Hydrated skin also makes it easier to properly apply makeup, and it gives you a naturally plump and more youthful appearance.
- Diminishes Signs of Aging: Fine lines, wrinkles, skin spots, and more are all signs of aging, but regular face masks can fight them. Plus, face masks give you smoother, softer skin, which also gives you a more youthful appearance.
- Makes You Relax: When you do a face mask, you are giving yourself some time to relax and treat yourself. Plus, using face masks that have essential oils can also help you experience greater effect, such as a calm mind, balanced emotions, and a more relaxed body.
- Deep Cleans and Unclogs Pores: Your skin is exposed to dirt, grime, oil, and many other impurities every day. While washing your face daily can help clean the surface of your skin, face masks penetrate deeper, pulling out impurities that lie beneath the top skin layers. By cleaning out your pores, it becomes harder for bacteria to grow beneath the surface, which makes breakouts less frequent.
- Gives Your Firmer, Smoother, and Glowing Skin: Face masks can help increase collagen production, which, in return, helps fight off free radical damage. This not only fights signs of aging but also gives you firmer skin. Face masks also help increase blood circulation to the face. As a mask hardens and as you remove it, the blood vessels in your facial skin begin to expand. This increases blood flow, which gives you more even skin tones, a naturally radiant glow, and smoother skin.
Face Mask Recipes
Note: Before using any face mask, it is important that you wash your face and remove any makeup. Having a clean face allows the ingredients in the mask to penetrate deeper into the skin, providing you with greater results.
Nourishing Honey and Turmeric Face Mask
Great for nourishing your skin, reducing redness or irritation, and fighting acne.
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/2 tsp Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 1 drop organic Turmeric oil
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and mix well. Apply an even layer of the mask mixture to your face, avoiding the mouth and eyes. Leave the mask on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse off with warm water, pat dry, and apply your favorite moisturizer.
Anti-Aging Clay Face Mask
This mask is great for fighting signs of aging and enhancing your skin's natural glow.
- 1 tsp natural facial clay
- 1 tsp ground oatmeal
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp carrier oil
- 1/2 tsp water, milk, or plant milk
- 1 drop Frankincense oil
- 1-2 drops Rose oil
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until a paste forms. Add a few drops of water or milk if it is too thick, or add extra clay or oatmeal to make it thicker. You want your paste to be spreadable but not liquidy. Apply to the face, avoiding the eyes and mouth. Leave the mask on for about 15 minutes, or until it dries. Gently wash off with lukewarm water and a washcloth. Apply moisturizer.
Acne-Fighting Face Masks
Do you experience frequent breakouts? These face masks can help reduce breakouts and soothe sore pimples.
Clay Mask for Acne
- 2 tsp natural facial clay
- 1/2 tsp aloe vera gel
- 1/2 tsp raw honey
- a few drops of water as needed to thin the mixture
- 1 drop Tea Tree oil
- 1 drop Lemon oil*
Combine all ingredients together in a small bowl until a paste forms. Add a few drops of water as needed until your paste is thick yet spreadable. Apply to the face in an even layer, avoiding the mouth and eyes. Let the mask sit for 10-15 minutes, then gently rinse off with warm water. Apply moisturizer.
Melaleuca Face Mask for Acne
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1-2 drops Tea Tree oil
Combine both ingredients in a small bowl, and mix well. Apply the mask to a slightly dampened face, avoiding the mouth and eyes. Leave the mask on for 15 minutes, then gently rinse off with lukewarm water. Follow with your favorite toner and moisturizer.
Super Hydrating Face Mask
This mask is great for adding and keeping hydration for those who have a dry skin type.
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp FCO or Jojoba oil
- 1/4 of a ripe avocado, mashed (as smooth as you can get it)
- 2 drops Helichrysum oil
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Spread the mask onto your face and neck. Let the mask sit for 15 minutes, then gently wash it off with warm water. Apply moisturizer.
Shine-Stopper Face Mask
If you have oily skin, this mask is great for taking away the extra shine without drying out your skin.
- 5 Tbsp aloe vera gel
- 20 drops Lavender oil
- 10 drops Tea Tree oil
- 1-2 drops Cinnamon Bark oil
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and mix well. Apply an even layer of the mask to your face, avoiding the eyes and mouth. Leave the mask on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water, and apply moisturizer. Use this mask up to two times daily for best results. Store any remaining mask in an air-tight container for 15-20 days.
Even Tones Face Mask
This face mask is great for evening out your skin tone while also enhancing your natural glow.
- 1 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 3 drops Lemon oil*
Mix the coconut oil and honey together in a small bowl. Add the Lemon oil, and mix to combine. Apply the mask evenly on the face, and let it sit for 15 minutes. Rinse off with warm water, and apply moisturizer.
Smooth Skin Face Mask
Remove dead skin, reduce the appearance of blemishes, and get naturally smoother skin with this great face mask!
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 drops Lemon oil*
- 1 drop Cedarwood oil
Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until the mixture is frothy. Apply the mask to your face, avoiding the eyes and mouth. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, or until the mask is dry. Slowly and gently peel the mask off of your face. Wash your face with warm water, and apply moisturizer.
*Because this mask uses Lemon oil, a photosensitive oil, we recommend using this mask at night. If you use this in the morning, avoid direct sunlight for 12 hours following use.