Cleaning Your Home the Natural Way
Odds are that somewhere in a kitchen or laundry room cabinet you have a pretty large stash of home cleaning products—from window cleaner and dusting spray to disinfectant and floor cleaner. But what if you could swap out some or most of those products for a natural hard surface cleaner that's not only safe, but effective at cleaning a variety of surfaces in your house?
Why Not Just Use Conventional Cleaning Products?
When you walk down the cleaning aisle, the sheer number of choices often proves overwhelming. There you’ll find products that claim to “tackle tough stains,” “clear clogs,” or “leave counters and sinks sparkling clean.”
But at what cost?
Just read the back of the bottle, which includes a list of health effects, often ranging from eye irritation and headaches to skin and respiratory irritation, and dizziness.
A 2014 study in the International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health looked at professional cleaning products and workers who used them, concluding that those using the products are at risk for a number of health effects in the short-term, including irritant- or sensitizer-induced asthma.
Children, who live in households where cleaning products are stored (which is pretty much every home), are especially vulnerable.
The 2016 annual report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System found that household cleaning substances were the No. 2 most common reason for pediatric exposure to poison. The report also stated that fumes, gases and vapors are the single most frequent cause of pediatric fatalities under the age of 6 reported to Poison Control from 2012 to 2016, and household cleaners are the ninth most frequent cause of poisoning fatalities. Fatalities aside, children are more prone to issues since they don’t have fully developed nervous, immune, respiratory and reproductive systems. That means their cells are more susceptible to damage at much lower exposures than an adult.
The Scoop on Natural Cleaning Products
You probably saw your mom or grandmother using household items like vinegar or baking soda— along with plenty of elbow grease—to get that stove or counter sparkling clean. As more research comes out on the harmful effects of chemicals not only in the body, but also in the environment, there is some good news: More companies are beginning to recognize the value of creating effective natural or natural-based products that provide much safer alternatives to conventional cleaning products.
Other reasons to use natural products in your cleaning regimen:
- Natural-based products often do double-duty. When you buy a conventional toilet bowl cleaner, for instance, you can’t use it to clean the shower or mop the floor. If you’re using a greener product, it’s often for multi-purpose use.
- You can easily “DIY” your own cleaning products. Vinegar and baking soda bring some serious cleaning power without harmful effects. Add in a few drops of essential oils, too, for their benefits. Oils like lemon and tea tree offer antimicrobial properties, meaning they do a great job at disinfecting surfaces.
- Natural product manufacturers offer more transparency. While the United States doesn’t actually require manufacturers to list all the ingredients in their cleaning products, natural-based companies often err on the side of transparency since their ingredients make the product a selling point.
- Natural cleansers work just as well. You may have to scrub a little more than a chemical cleaner that dissolves grime, but you’ll still be left with a sparkling clean surface.
Tohi Multi-Purpose Cleaning Concentrate
At Rocky Mountain Oils, we’ve made a commitment to offering every day, safe solutions, which is why we recently introduced our newest line of household products—all of which employ the power of 100% pure essential oils and all of which offer safe everyday solutions. For this particular line, we chose the brand name Tohi™ because it means harmony between the mind, body, and spirit. One way to achieve this harmony is to replace common household and cleaning products with a natural alternative. Infused with 100% pure essential oils, Tohi’s natural homecare products are safe for you and your family’s home cleaning and personal care needs.
Tackle your home cleaning with the Tohi Multi-Purpose Cleaning Concentrate, which utilizes the power of our signature Immune Strength oil blend. Immune Strength includes essential oils known for their ability to clean and purify surfaces while leaving behind a fresh, invigorating scent. Those oils include Lemon, Orange, Thyme, Mandarin, Rosemary, Nutmeg, and Eucalyptus citriodora. This natural surface cleaner is perfect for a variety of surfaces.
- To use it as a multipurpose cleaner, simply mix 2 tablespoons of concentrate per 24 ounces of water.
- If you're cleaning bathroom surfaces, combine 3 tablespoons of concentrate with 24 ounces of water.
- And for hand-washing dishes, mix 3 tablespoons of concentrate per gallon of water.
Don’t make harsh chemicals your go-to for a clean home. Harness the power of natural products to get the job done.