15 Fantastic Essential Oils for Bathing
While a bath can be used to just get you clean, it is also one of the best ways to help you decompress; to step away from the world and pamper yourself so you can handle everyday life again. While the heat of a bath is good, adding essential oils will make your bath a delightful moment of aromatherapy. The heat not only helps to quickly absorb the oils into your bloodstream, but it vaporizes the oils so you are breathing in the scent as well. Here are some ideas to help you find ways to use essential oils for bathing.
Essential Oils for Your Bath
- Sandalwood — The grounding and earthy aroma of sandalwood help create a feeling of relaxation and peace. Sandalwood is also a great oil to use in conjunction with a carrier oil to combat dry skin.
- Rose — With a floral and sweet aroma, rose creates feelings of love and joy. The therapeutic benefits of rose help nourish the skin.
- Ylang Ylang — Promote relaxation and invigorate your senses with the sweet and exotic aroma of ylang ylang. The soothing properties of ylang ylang with calm the mind.
- Jasmine — This floral essential oil promotes healthy skin and brings feelings of calmness and relaxation.
- Lavender — A popular essential oil for relaxation, lavender essential oil relaxes and soothes the body and mind.
- Geranium — With an uplifting and sweet aroma, geranium brings feelings of harmony and joy. Geranium also balances the skin with beauty enhancing properties.
- Neroli — This citrus essential oil has rejuvenating properties for every skin type.
- German Chamomile — With calming and comforting properties, german chamomile soothes the body and brings feelings of relaxation.
- Roman Chamomile — With a peaceful and soothing aroma, this gentle essential oil is perfect for those with sensitive skin.
- Patchouli — This floral essential oil helps soothe and enhance the appearance of the skin.
- Cedarwood — The grounding aroma of cedarwood brings feelings of peace and relaxation. Cedarwood is also a great oil to soothe dry skin.
- Rosewood — The therapeutic benefits of rosewood soothe irritated skin and is gentle on sensitive skin.
- Red Mandarin — The cleansing properties of Red Mandarin bring balance to your skin.
- Eucalyptus — Bring feelings of relaxation and calmness with Eucalyptus essential oil. The therapeutic benefits will invigorate your senses and ease tension
- Orange — Uplift your spirits and relieve stress with orange essential oil. The therapeutic benefits of orange promote healthy and glowing skin.
Ways to Use Essential Oils for BathingThere are many different ways that you can enjoy the therapeutic benefits essential oil while relaxing in a bath. Below are the 3 most popular types of essential oil baths. Mix 3-10 drops of essential oils for bathing of your choice to one of the following and add to your bath.
- Milk bath: 1 cup of milk. You can also use 1/2 cup of a powdered milk. Some people use regular, others use powdered coconut. It's personal preference. If you use powdered, you can mix in your oils into the powder first. Just stir with a fork until mixed through. The powdered milk gets a bit of a granular look to it when the oils are mixed in.
- Salt Bath: 1/2 cup Epsom salts or sea salts with your oils. Many people say to dissolve your essential oils into the salts before putting into the water.
- Moisturizing Bath: Use 2 tablespoons of Jojoba and/or F.C.O. to help soften and hydrate skin. With this one, use a blend of oils that also involves Sandalwood because it helps to soften dry skin as well.
Bath Time Recipes
Bath OilsCombine 3-5 drops of any of the following with either 2 tablespoons of milk or 2 teaspoons of F.C.O. and pour mixture into your bath.
- Deep Cleansing: Grapefruit, Juniper Berry, Lemon, Cypress, Tea Tree
- Uplifting: Bergamot, Geranium, Melissa, Frankincense, Palmarosa, Clary Sage, Jasmine, Red Mandarin
- Relaxing: Clary Sage, Geranium, Jasmine, Red Mandarin, Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Marjoram, Neroli, Rose
- Stimulating: Bergamot, Cypress, Juniper Berry, Lime, Pine, Coriander, Grapefruit, Lemon, Peppermint, Rosemary
Garden Light Milk Bath
- 5 ounces milk
- 3 tablespoons powdered coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 4 drops Blend of Jasmine
- 2 drops Ylang Ylang Extra
- 2 drops Lavender
Sensual and Relaxing Bath
- 2 drops Cedarwood
- 2 drops Clary Sage
- 1 drop Lavender
- 1 drop Orange
- 2 tablespoons Jojoba and/or F.C.O.
Rosy Sweet Bath Salts
- 1 drop Orange oil
- 3 drops Blend of Rose
- 2 tablespoons dried orange peel (orange zest)
- 4 tablespoons Epsom salt
- 3 drops Sandalwood
- 3 drops Red Mandarin
- 1 tablespoon Jojoba
- 1 tablespoon F.C.O.