Moisturize Dry Hair with Essential Oils
Struggle with dry hair, split ends, or breakage?
If so, then you need to try moisturizing your hair with these essential oils!
Dry hair is caused by so many things. Some of it could be genetic but outside influences such as environment, nutrition, stress level, age, hormones, amount of sleep, medications, and/or chemical treatments also play a part. In a lot of ways, dry hair can also lead to an uncomfortable dry scalp. But there is hope! Below is a list of the best essential oils for dry hair care, some good tips, and several recipes. Have fun!
Best Essential Oils for Dry Hair
- Essential Oils: Sandalwood, Rosemary, Roman Chamomile, Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Rose, Myrrh, Peppermint, Birch Bark, Geranium
- Carrier Oils: Avocado, Apricot Seed, Jojoba, Coconut Oil
- Tonic Bases: Distilled water, Rosewater, Cider Vinegar
- Herbs: Calendula, Comfrey leaf/root, Orange Peel
Dry Hair - Tips
- The simplest way to make your shampoo of choice is to get an unscented, pH balancing bottle of shampoo and add the essential oil(s) of choice to it. Add 6 drops per 1/4 cup shampoo. The easiest way to mix the ingredients is to empty out the bottle into a bowl, add the oil(s), and vigorously mix with a wire whisk to blend everything together. Use a funnel to get the shampoo back in the bottle.
- If you mix together a shampoo like above, make just 1/4 cup first and try it out to make sure you like it. That also makes it easier for you to make different blends.
- If you have to use a blow dryer, avoid the high heat settings. The same with flat irons and curling irons. baby your hair as much as you can.
- Medications can cause a problem. And if they are ones you have to take, then make sure you take very good care of your diet and exercise to help combat any problems.
- Conditioning treatments for damaged and dry hair need to happen three times a week. Once you have your hair in better condition, you can do less.
Dry Hair - Outdoor Tips
- Wear a hat to protect your hair outside in the sun and wind. And especially, wear a cap in the swimming pool.
- If you go swimming regularly in a chlorine swimming pool, protect your hair by wearing a swimming cap. If you do not have a swimming cap or if you can't get your child to wear one, put an oil treatment into hair before going into pool. Massage from scalp all the way to the end of the hair and tie back into a ponytail or bun, if the hair is long.
- If you have green-tinted hair from chlorinated pool water, use the swimming pool hair care recipe (below) a couple of times a week to remove the green. Pool water often has high concentrations of copper, which tends to turn light colored hair green over time.
- Watch your nutrition. Make sure you are getting in the proper amount of vitamins and minerals through healthy food. And exercise!
Here are a few recipes for making conditioning treatments for your hair to help strengthen and moisturize it. Be sure to try these recipes on a small portion of your scalp first to make sure your skin can handle it before using it all over your scalp.
Swimming Pool Hair Care
- 1/4 cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Mild Shampoo or Liquid soap, such as a baby shampoo or castile soap
Stir all ingredients together until well mixed. Wet your hair, apply entire mixture into hair and scalp, making sure the ends of your hair are coated. Cover hair with a shower cap or plastic wrap and leave treatment in for 30 minutes, then rinse hair well and shampoo and condition as usual. Use to get rid of the green in your hair from the chlorine.
Dry Hair Tonic
Mix all ingredients together in a dark colored glass bottle and keep sealed tightly. Shake well before every use. Pour a little tonic into the palm of your hand and massage into the scalp and through the hair. Regular use (several times a week) will help improve the condition of your hair as well as making it smell good.
Dry Hair Scalp Oil
Mix all ingredients in a dark colored glass bottle. Shake well to mix together. Start with wet hair to make it easier to shampoo out. Massage 1-2 teaspoons into your scalp and hair paying special attention to ends. Cover head with a towel and leave for up to an hour before shampooing. Use weekly as a conditioning treatment.
Revitalize Hair Treatment
- 1 drop Cedarwood
- 3 drops Clary Sage
- 1 drop Geranium
- 1 drop Lavender
- 3 drops Rosemary
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Mix formula together and use in one of the following ways:
- Massage blend into hair and scalp; make sure you reach split ends. Wrap head with a towel and relax for one hour. Shampoo and rinse. Be sure to rinse well to remove the olive oil.
- Add a few drops of the blend to a mild shampoo and use on a regular basis when you wash your hair.
This treatment is great for hair that is too dry, too oily, or too flaky.
911 Hair Rescue Mask
Blend all ingredients until smooth. To use, first shampoo your hair, then apply the entire mixture and massage into your hair and scalp. Put on a shower cap or wrap your hair in an old towel and leave mixture on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse well with warm water and style as usual.
Dry Hair Leave in Treatment
Massage approximately 1 teaspoon of formula into the hair and scalp at one time. It's best to leave on for several hours to allow oils to penetrate. If you use the formula before bedtime, wrap a towel around your head to protect your pillowcase and leave on overnight. In the morning, wash hair twice with a natural shampoo and warm water. Use this formula three times a week until you achieve the desired results.
Avocado Hair Conditioner
- 1 ripe Avocado, mashed
- 2 tablespoons Sour Cream or Plain Yogurt
- 2 drops Lemon oil
Stir all ingredients together until you have a smooth paste; either with a fork or a blender. Apply entire mixture to your hair or scalp. Wrap hair with a warm towel or cover with a shower cap and leave treatment in for 20 minutes. Rinse well with warm water, then shampoo as usual. This is great for super dry or damaged hair.
Moisturizing Hair Treatment
- 5 drops Sandalwood
- 3 drops Palmarosa
- 3 drops Rosewood
- 1/2 teaspoon Castor Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Jojoba oil
Massage entire formula into the hair and scalp at one time. Pay particular attention to the ends of your hair. It's best to leave on for several hours to allow oils to penetrate. If you use the formula before bedtime, wrap a towel around your head to protect your pillowcase and leave on overnight. In the morning, wash hair twice with a natural shampoo and warm water. Use this formula three times a week until you achieve the desired results.
Last of All
What do you like to use for your hair? Please share in the comment section at the bottom of the page.